Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Review: Perfect Chemistry


Perfect Chemistry

Author: Simone Elkeles

Summary:

A fresh, urban twist on the classic tale of star-crossed lovers. 

When Brittany Ellis walks into chemistry class on the first day of senior year, she has no clue that her carefully created 'perfect' life is about to unravel before her eyes. She's forced to be lab partners with Alex Fuentes, a gang member from the other side of town, and he is about to threaten everything she's worked so hard for: her flawless reputation, her relationship with her boyfriend, and the secret that her home life is anything but perfect.  

Alex is a bad boy and he knows it. So when he makes a bet with his friends to lure Brittany into his life, he thinks nothing of it. But soon Alex realizes Brittany is a real person with real problems, and suddenly the bet he made in arrogance turns into something much more.  

In a passionate story about looking beneath the surface, Simone Elkeles breaks through the stereotypes and barriers that threaten to keep Brittany and Alex apart.




Published 23 December 2008

*

One word to describe Perfect Chemistry would be just... Perfect. 

Mind-blowingly and poignantly perfect. 

It's the epitome of the clichéd and much overused star-crossed lovers storyline, but the fact that Simone Elkeles persisted in pushing each stereotype to its best made Perfect Chemistry the biggest star of its genre. It's as simple as that.

Brittany. She is the exemplar of Barbie-ness.

Alex. He is the Mexican bad boy oozing danger and appeal.

When their two vastly different worlds are forced to clash with a loud bang, clap your hands together for some fizzling hot sparks that will beat the likes of Tony and Maria from the West Side Story.

>:) Really!

When I first started reading this novel, there was no doubt that I was expecting a good old twist on the good girl and bad boy tale. And I got that. But, what I didn't expect was how Simone Elkeles delivered it with such raw intensity and pulsating emotions. She left out none of the crudeness that comes with the harsh reality of high school, she left out none of the bloodiness and cruelty of gang life, yet, at the same time, she left out none of the drama and sweetness in a fragile first love.

And that is how she won me over with her tale of two teens falling in love from two different worlds.

Because her story is grounded in reality, because the authentic voices of Alex and Brittany could shine through the predictable storyline, because of all that and more, Perfect Chemistry was so much more special and touching than any other novel on a star-crossed pair

Everything starts when Alex and Brittany are assigned as lab partners. From enemies to friends then falling in love, every step of their journey together is precious and heart-warming. From both of their perspectives, we see how their burning animosity turn to curiosity. We watch how they poke at each other's façade. We witness their precious friendship that is tested and challenged again and again by those around them.


Yet, against all odds, even when I thought that all that's going to be left will only be a distant memory of a bitter sweet first love, they made it to the end. 


And Simone Elkeles teaches us a good ol' lesson, of looking beneath the surface, of daring to venture beyond your comfort zone, and most importantly, of never letting go of what is dear to your heart.

Special mention goes to Simone Elkeles for having the most conversational style of writing I've ever seen. She writes the ways teens talk, and because of that, Alex's painful decision to protect his family by joining the Latino Blood gang is all the more tangible and Brittany's strong love for her disabled sister below her icy princess exterior can touch our hearts. That is why I find myself involved in their lives, more deeply than I ever thought was possible.  

So, in the end, Perfect Chemistry is a living proof that the age-old recipe of star-crossed love still tingles and delights. Well, as long as you can write like Simone Elkeles does.


Source: Birthday gift from Mother dear






xoxo,
Sel

26 comments:

  1. What a great review, can't wait to get my hands on this!
    RB :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! That's exactly how I hope you feel after reading my review ;)

      Delete
    2. That's it, a trip to the bookshop is all sorted for tomorrow!
      RB :)

      Delete
  2. I definitely agree with you when you wrote, "It's the epitome of the clichéd and much overused star-crossed lovers storyline, but the fact that Simone Elkeles persisted in pushing each stereotype to its best made Perfect Chemistry the biggest star of its genre."
    It took some time for me to realize this, as I can be a little slow:) but yes, Alex and Brittany are literally walking stereotypes. Now that I realize this I'm extremely impressed that reading this book made me forget that. I remember simply racing through the pages. This book had DEFINITELY caught me by surprise! Very perceptive review:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, precisely. Most of the time I wrinkle my nose at cliched stereotypes, yet, this time round, Simone Elkeles made me fall in love with her characters, regardless of how cliched they were.

      I'm impressed too :) Looks like I'm kinda slow too...

      Delete
  3. Fantastic review! You really make me want to read this one! The only reason I have held off this long is because I wasn't a huge fan of another set of the author's books, but I have a feeling I will enjoy this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a good feeling that you will too ;) Don't hold it off *shock gasp horror*

      Delete
  4. Agreed, this is an awesome book!! I loved the second one as well. The whole plot is so cliche, but like you said the author really works on all the stereotypes and makes them so much more interesting and emotion filled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three cheers to Simone Elkeles for knowing how to make clichés not clichéd ;)

      Delete
  5. Great review! This sounds really good, thanks for sharing. New follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't like this book :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you were just too lazy to log into your account, WY...

      Delete
  7. Glad you liked it. This book has been on my TBR for quite some time now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's time that it moves up your TBR list ;)

      Delete
  8. Awesome review Sel! I definately want to read this book finally to read the amazing natural teen talk in this book! Following back! Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel! :D

      Go read the amazing teen talk, you'll like how the story flows so smoothly and effortlessly ;)

      Delete
  9. You've pretty much summed up exactly how I feel about this book! It was so clichéd, but still so perfect and sweet!
    ~Le sigh... Alex might be my favorite Fuentes brother <3

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! Following you back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knowww :DD

      Eh, I haven't read the other two books yet (but definitely going to!!), hmm... I guess Carlos and Luis have a long way to go before they can usurp their hawt brother ;)

      Delete
  10. I LOVE this book! Even though, I agree, it is kind of the epitome of clicheness, Simone Elkeles manages to write it so well that I loved it anyway! I so agree with everything you just said in your review! Perfect Chemistry really is...just perfect!

    Really love your blog actually - following back :)

    Catherine x
    The Book Parade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there's no better way to put it into words other than perfect ;D

      Thanks for following!

      Delete
  11. Great review, Sel! And HI! I'm back from vacation! :D This book seems so great but also kind of sad and heartbreaking. I've kind of been craving a cliche teen romance novel for quite some time now, so this is looking really, well, for lack of other words, PERFECT. <333 Thanks so much for putting it on my radar, Sel! I love your sweet and enthusiastic reviews, chicky! XD

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loves your blog!
    Nice books reviews!
    Well done on your blog Sel!
    I'm so following this site and will recommend it to my friends!
    Can you Please check out my blog and follow it if you like it.
    I only have 2 followers and my goal is to get at least 20 followers by the end of this month,
    It would mean VERY MUCH to me if you follow my blog!
    So if anyones reads this comment please check out my blog, here's the link: www.ej12news.blogspot.com
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. Also my blog is about a book series called EJ12 girl hero,
    EJ12 girl hero is a book series about a average 10 years old school girl named “Emma Jacks” who goes though every day life problems, mean school girls, annoying brothers, stage fears and the dark.

    While she is a SHINE secret agent, EJ12 girl hero who is confident, brave and strong, she saves the world from SHADOW agency ,who destroys the nature of the world for money.

    Emma didn’t planed to be a secret agent but when she won a primary schools math competition, Emma love math and solving problems, the SHINE agency recruited Emma Jacks to go on missions and crack the codes.

    Please follow my blog and recommend it to your friends

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really great review! I loved Perfect Chemistry and I have to read the rest of her books soon. She really did an amazing job of capturing romance and real life.

    I returned your follow =]

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing review.....i really need to read this book...if ur review is saying so great things about it.

    Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, take your time and cruise around. Leave your links! I always comment back :-)

Wishing you lots of good books to come along your way!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...